RE: oracle EE pricing

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:24:30 -0500

        Many years ago I interviewed with a major financial. They operated in a similar way, though not exactly identical. In their minds a computer was obsolete after 5 years, whether a desktop, laptop, or server. They also believed in never opening their machines after purchase, so all computers came porked, max memory, cpu's, fiber cards, etc..... Disk systems were the same, buy EMC and fill it as we'll use it sooner or later. They followed the same idea with Oracle. If the machine was going to be a database server, buy a license for it, with all options and then just leave it. No patches or support after the first year. When the server came to the end of it's life they replaced it along with the Oracle license if still needed. They claimed it was cheaper in the long run, but I wonder. I'm no financial wizard, by any stretch of the imagination, so it doesn't make sense to me.

        What I don't understand, soapbox please, is why Oracle places the cost of it's software as high as it does, after all it's software, not platinum. There is no limit to the number of copies that you can sell and at it's current price there is sufficient sticker shock that sometimes the nod goes else where. I know that a project I'm involved with is reconsidering their DB choice just because Oracle is so darn expensive. The PM wanted EE with a 2 node Rac and Active Data Guard. Will probably end up as SE, no RAC and a basic DR setup (recovery from tape). The other side of this is that I've friends who have lost their jobs, not because they were downsized, but replaced with DB2 or Sql*Server DBA's and that just on the impression that those would be cheaper. That is down right depressing. OK, we can put the soapbox away now.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International