Re: Replacement of US7ASCII character set in 11g?

From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:40:54 +0200

As long as the database charset and the client charset are the same no conversion is done.
So, if you have us7ascii charset and you put in chr(240) it will go as 240 to the database and will come back as 240. If you use WE8MSWIN1252 charset on the database and us7ascii on the client, the sql client on the client machine will try conversion and will return ? (chr(191) or chr(96) if I remember correctly) that say unknown char.

Try changing the database charset to WE8MSWIN1252 and use the same charset on the client, you will probably have no problems.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel