Re: new Patch Set Updates released

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:40:31 +0000

On 01/13/2010 06:13 PM, Allen, Brandon wrote:
> I'm just curious what the list's opinion is on these from those who have been installing them - are they truly "low risk" as described by Oracle in MOS Doc 854428.1, or have you found the reality to be significantly different from the hype? Of course I would always install in a test environment first, no matter how low-risk it is deemed to be, but I'm just curious if people are generally finding these to be more trouble than their worth, or if they have gone smoothly?

For what it's worth I'd never install any Oracle patch regardless how much they insist that it's all regression tested and harmless etc. I started to mistrust them after 10.2.0.3 on Solaris (with Veritas FS) caused me a lot of grief.

In the only environment I use PSUs I installed 10.2.0.4 and immediately applied PSU 10.2.0.4.1 + the "instance doesn't start because of IPC timeout patch". No other conflicting one-offs to worry about but I understand that this isn't always possible (see Kellyn's posts).
> I've never applied a PSU or CPU before, but am considering changing my policy on that and applying these PSUs either quarterly, or maybe only semi-anually or anually depending on the level of effort required and how many bugs I find they introduce once I actually test it.

Have a look at the PSU's bug description-it's fairly lengthy. I know a number of shops who apply only every other PSU (or CPU for that matter) to limit the amount of required testing. That is unless a critical vulnerability is fixed in the current CPU/PSU.
> I was already in the process of preparing to install 10.2.0.4.2, but I suppose I might as well jump to 10.2.0.4.3 now that it's out. I'm a little scared to be that far out on the bleeding edge, but we'll test thoroughly and wait a month or so before putting it in production so hopefully we'll be okay. I'll report back to the list if I come across any major issues.

Curious to hear about your experience! I might have to apply PSU 10.2.0.4.3 soon, after the rule "once a PSU, always a PSU". January 2010 CPU is included which the security department likes to see applied. I'll also update the list how that went.

Happy patching!

Regards,

Martin

--