RE: new Patch Set Updates released

From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:24:54 -0800 (PST)

The conflicting one-off patch was caught by the pre-requisite check, but it was difficult to get MOS to lock down the exact steps that would be required to apply the PSU and the one-off patch solution.  I had to request for repeated checks with development for solid steps for what order and what steps had to be taken, along with ensuring I had the right file when she sent it to me, (she wasn't positive if she'd sent me the right file or the previous file from the site...)  I told her if she didn't double check, since she "thought" the steps she was giving me was what she was told and something went wrong, well, then my manager would be on the phone to her manager and neither one wanted THAT! :)
Oh and that command doesn't work!
opatch prereq CheckConflictAgainstOHWithDetail -phBaseDir ./8833280
Try instead:
opatch prereq CheckConflictAgainstOHWithDetail -ph ./8833280
Otherwise it will just fail...:D and make sure you have the latest version of OPatch, yes, they did release one between the Oct2009 PSU and the one off patches for the same version!

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

  • On Wed, 1/13/10, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com> wrote:

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com> Subject: RE: new Patch Set Updates released To: "Kellyn Pedersen" <kjped1313_at_yahoo.com>, "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 2:26 PM

In the cases where you’ve had conflicts, were they correctly reported by this command (from the PSU release notes) prior to installation or did you not find the problem until after you already installed the PSU?
opatch prereq CheckConflictAgainstOHWithDetail -phBaseDir ./8833280
I’m surprised that they told you to stop using the feature in 10g until you upgrade to 11g – that doesn’t sound like they’re living up to their end of the bargain according to their definition of “Premier Support” and the published end date of July 2013 for Premier Support on 10.2: http://www.oracle.com/support/library/brochure/lifetime-support-technology.pdf

From: Kellyn Pedersen [mailto:kjped1313_at_yahoo.com]

If you have a one-off patch that is in conflict with the PSU