RE: Anyone going live with 11.2 in Q1 or Q2?

From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:31:34 -0800 (PST)

"Insane DBA raises her hand....raises both hands...." :)

We will be moving all our 10g databases to 11g R2, pretty much no matter what...   It's going to have to involve bugs waaay worse than what we are now experiencing in 10g to convince my manager NOT to go live with it.

My smallest environment is 2TB and my largest is 12TB.  We utilize heavy partitioning, parallel server execution and I am soooo looking forward to some of the new 11g features, (yes, I've been blogging about them...)  The hardware is ordered for my new environment, so I'm just waiting at this point, but knowing the company I work for, this is going to be a "faster than I'm comfortable" with implementation and I'm going to have to be on the top of my game to ensure we make it out alive.

The bugs we run into involve partitioning, group hash by aggregation, parallel execution, max sort lengths and CBO.  I'm hoping to get away from those, but I know I'm a wishful thinker.... :)  The patching for some of these bugs ended up with situations where the "cure was worse than the disease" or the work around wasn't even an option for us.  I've found myself tiring of the constant justification for Oracle's complexity resulting in patches that implement new bugs or having to wait for special patches from Development for every PSU patch I apply to then re-apply my one-off patches...

It's only going to get worse, isn't it? :P

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

  • On Wed, 1/13/10, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com> wrote:

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com> Subject: RE: Anyone going live with 11.2 in Q1 or Q2? To: "development_at_the-playground.de" <development_at_the-playground.de>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 9:16 AM

My preprod is going live in a couple of weeks, and my production should be going live just before end of Q2.

Oracle 11.2.0.1 RAC on RHEL 5.2.

-Mark