Re: Partitions expanding above the HWM

From: Thomas Roach <troach_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:29:19 -0500

Thanks for the assistance. The blocksize for the whole DB is 16kb. The partition is hash by customer with a sub partition so the range I do not get help with, but it is definitely an option. What happens is the insert (and we have 7 processes running in parallel, so there is some contention on these heavy inserts), then each one cleans up the old copies of the records. We only delete old records when new ones are uploaded, so if we insert 50,000 records, and only 30,000 of them are updates, then it inserts all 50k, then drops the old 30k ones, so we could still have 20k from the old run. So as more records are inserted, the old blocks look like swiss cheese, but the old space does not appear to be used. With ASSM, I wonder if I am hitting some sort of bug because the operations I see don't tell me that it is avoiding previously used blocks.

--
Thomas Roach
813-404-6066