RE: Partitions expanding above the HWM

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 20:46:55 -0500

Okay, ASSM has to do with which block you insert a row into in the already allocated extents in non-bulk or direct insert operations. But if you're bumping up form 17G to 640G, that has to do with more extents.

So, what is your style and size? We know you're locally managed since you're ASSM. Are you system or uniform? What is your blocksize and what is your size? System can trigger large incremental growth something like a non-zero percent free. Uniform is uniform, so you can change the size of extents only at create time.

There was a bug for a while where each session failing to find an eligible block to insert into asked for a new extent without checking if another session had already asked for a new extent, so if you had many sessions inserting concurrently that could trigger a rapid expansion like the behavior of the universe before Planck time. But I thought that was fixed at least 18 months ago.

Probably it is worth looking for the support note.

mwf