Partitions expanding above the HWM

From: Thomas Roach <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:55:52 -0500

4 node RAC -
Linux x86_64 RHEL 5.3

ASSM on the Tablespaces (but the table has PCTFREE of 10 and PCTUSED of 0
"which should be ignored because of ASSM."

Reporting Table
Partitioned by hash into 16 partitions.
Degree of parallel is 1.
PCTFREE 10 Staging Table
Partitioned by server name (7 partitions) Parallelization is enabled

I am having an issue with a table that is just using way too much disk space. As of today, it was using 640GB. I shrunk it down to about 17GB by using the move partition command with update indexes. As data is inserted, it appears to be

I initially thought I had it when I saw PCTUSED 0, but then I found the tablespace was ASSM, so this value "should" be ignored. I found the package that loads this table from a staging table.

What happens is this.

"INSERT INTO table SELECT * FROM staging_table"

So, I set up a little test case, and I can't seem to replicate the data. This is not doing anything with APPEND in this package that does the ETL. I tested with parallel dml enabled at the session level and that yielded no results. Does anyone have any ideas what I might be missing? Could this be a bug with ASSM? Any help would greatly be appreciated as I have banged my head against the monitor all day (not literally).