Policy managed databases?

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:27:39 -0500

Has anyone seen any good papers on policy managed databases, server pools, etc?

I'm setting up this new 11gR2 RAC. All new databases from the ground up, so, I'm trying out some of these new cluster management features.

I've got my clusterware installed, implemented GNS, and that's all looking good.

Here's where I get confused:
I installed one policy-managed database, pointed it to a new server pool I defined, which I associated with all 4 of my nodes. That worked fine, no problems at all.

Now, when I tried creating a second database, also policy-managed, that used the same server pool, it didn't allow me to do that. So, I tried creating a new server pool, but it said that there are no free servers in the cluster that can be assigned to the new server pool. So, then I tried re-creating the second database as admin managed, at which point it told me that if I wanted to start this database, it would take down the other database (the policy managed one). So, I can't share nodes at all?

I'm getting the idea that a server can only belong to one server pool, and that only one database can be allocated to a server pool?

What I'm trying to accomplish here is something similar to what I had in 10R2 and 11gR1. I want a 4 node RAC, 2 databases (online and mfg) and each node running two instances (one online and one mfg) with load balancing and failover setup across all four nodes. Optionally, enough control at the level of defining/modifying services, to be able to stop/start a particular instance running on a particular node. Pretty basic setup, really.

I'm getting the idea that either I'm completely missing the concept of server pools and policies, or that they don't lend themselves well to the concept I outlined above.

Does anyone have documentation (other than Oracle docs, which seem to be woefully inadequate in this area) or white papers related to server pools, policy-managed databases, etc?

Should I not even bother?

Usually I have a legacy application, and I just maintain status quo and move on, but, being that this application is all new from the ground up, I thought I'd give all this new stuff a try....

And of course, even if there was time and money for the OU class on this stuff, it's not even out yet!

AdvThanksance,

-Mark

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Jan 11 2010 - 16:27:39 CST