Re: Database comparisons

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:38:14 -0600

Toon, Jared, Robert, Richard, Niall,

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.

Obviously I need to describe the app better. This is a vendor-supplied 3-tier application so there are server processes that process requests from the clients. But then my company has extensively modified the application with client customizations. Even though we are testing from a single client, the database will see changes from the server processes as well as through several direct client connections.

Yes, we do application validation before applying the changes (client and database) to production. As part of that validation we currently execute the application and then verify the correct data changes were made in the database. Fortunately this application has fewer than 200 tables.

The auditor's question was essentially that "you are making changes to table A and verifying those changes, but how do you know the application didn't also change table B". I wasn't involved in the original question that led to the finding.

I'm hoping for something that I can set up to screen out the expected data changes to make the unexpected data changes more obvious.

I hadn't considered using auditing - thanks Niall for that suggestion.

Robert, thanks for the Flashback Version Query suggestion. I'll look into that as well. I should be able to make UNDO large enough.

Dennis