RE: Recreate standby controlfile for DB that uses OMF and ASM

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:13:57 -0800 (PST)

Fairlie is absolutely correct! I opened an SR. The analyst told me to follow Note:734862.1 (Step By Step Guide On How To Recreate Standby Control File When Datafiles Are On ASM And Using Oracle Managed Files). It's easier done than said.

Basically, after I restore the newly created standby controlfile, I need to

catalog start with '[first part of the ASM OMF path on standby]'; switch database to copy;

I guess the key to understanding this is that the datafiles on the standby are treated as datafile image copies. In this context, they are, because they were created as such by the duplicate command when the standby was initially created. Once they're catalog'ed, the switch command magically matches each old name with a new name.

All is well now. Thanks.

Yong Huang