Re: Replacement of US7ASCII character set in 11g?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:00:09 -0800

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Janine Sisk <janine_at_furfly.net> wrote:

> The old database has both NLS_CHARACTERSET and NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET set
> to US7ASCII. This character set seems to have disappeared in 11g. I tried
> making a database using Oracle's defaults, which are WE8MSWIN1252 and
> AL16UTF16 respectively. The data looks ok so far, but my client is worried
> about problems we just haven't seen yet.

I am not an expert on NLS, but have had to deal with it on occasion.

The US7ASCII set is a subset of the WE8MSWIN1252 You could check the docs on that:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10729/applocaledata.htm#g681575

Problems could be encountered if the client set NLS_LANG to some value other than US7ASCII and encoded ASCII values higher than 127 into the data.

Or something like that - I've never had to deal with it myself, but I have seen
others discuss problems along that line.

If that has not occurred, it should not be a problem.

You will probably want to read the chapter on Character Set Migration: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10729/ch11charsetmig.htm#g1011430

Also, a couple of related questions:

> In 8i, I set the NLS_DATE_FORMAT by adding a line to the init.ora file. In
> my Googling I have seen suggestions to set this by writing out a pfile,
> editing that, then converting it back to an spfile, basically doing the same
> thing I used to do but with the added steps of translating from and to the
> binary format. This seems clunky; isn't there a better way?

alter system set nls_date_format = <DATE_FORMAT_HERE> scope=spfile should do it.

> Lastly, the client noticed that NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT has changed, not to his
> liking. Would I set this in the same way as NLS_DATE_FORMAT, whatever that
> turns out to be?

Yes:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10820/initparams152.htm#CHDHGECF <http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10820/initparams152.htm#CHDHGECF>

Both parameter require restarting the instance.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com