Re: Replacement of US7ASCII character set in 11g?

From: Janine Sisk <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:17:14 -0800

No, sorry I should have specified - all servers run Linux (CentOS). I believe the client's development systems are running Windows, but that doesn't matter so much. I did think it was odd, now that you mention it, that Oracle recommends a Windows character set on Linux, but that is what it's doing.

On Jan 7, 2010, at 1:13 PM, Paul Drake wrote:

> All clients and app servers running MS Windows?
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Janine Sisk <> wrote:
>> I am migrating a website from Oracle 8i to 11g, and one of the
>> snags I've
>> run into is the character set.
>> The old database has both NLS_CHARACTERSET and
>> US7ASCII. This character set seems to have disappeared in 11g. I
>> tried
>> making a database using Oracle's defaults, which are WE8MSWIN1252 and
>> AL16UTF16 respectively. The data looks ok so far, but my client is
>> worried
>> about problems we just haven't seen yet.
>> My question: are there other choices for the two settings which
>> would give
>> us a better chance of having unmangled data than the ones Oracle
>> chose? If
>> it matters, he's worried about the diacritics specifically, though
>> I don't
>> think he has actually found any yet that look wrong.
>> Also, a couple of related questions:
>> In 8i, I set the NLS_DATE_FORMAT by adding a line to the init.ora
>> file. In
>> my Googling I have seen suggestions to set this by writing out a
>> pfile,
>> editing that, then converting it back to an spfile, basically doing
>> the same
>> thing I used to do but with the added steps of translating from and
>> to the
>> binary format. This seems clunky; isn't there a better way?
>> Lastly, the client noticed that NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT has changed, not
>> to his
>> liking. Would I set this in the same way as NLS_DATE_FORMAT,
>> whatever that
>> turns out to be?
>> Thanks for being patient with some very newbie questions!
>> janine
>> --
> --

Janine Sisk