Re: 11G RAC Configuration

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:16:01 -0600

I've built RAC clusters on blades before without issue. The technology matrix doesn't specify down to specific server types, so I'd expect that as long as you stay within the boundaries of what's in the matrix, you should expect no issues.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/certify/tech_generic_linux_new.html

I'm not sure why 2-node systems don't buy you much...they buy you 100% more than one system, right? It all depends on the requirements and for most of the 2-node clusters I know of, one of the two systems can handle the whole workload so if there's a failure, workload can continue to run without interruption.

As for two different systems, as long as the OSes are the same and the two servers are connected to the same storage and are connected to one another via a switch using GigE or better, they can be clustered. However, heterogeneous systems are not that common in my experience and you'll likely have somewhat unpredictable performance if the two servers have different memory configurations, I/O bandwidth capabilites, and/or CPU speeds. Specifically, if users use the two servers equally (via server-side load balancing or other methods), they'll sometimes get connected to the faster node, sometimes the slower node. For these reasons, I wouldn't like to have one of these systems in my environment, but it is possible.

Dan