RE: multiple character sets on windows X64 server

From: <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:37:33 -0500

I don't see why. I know I can have multiple on unix boxes. Keep in mind however, that when I had about twelve windows databases, each one had its own box. Except for the client 'NLS_LANG', the character set is defined inside the database, and so should be independent. Now you just need another opinion or to for confirmation.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546

[] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Beckstrom Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:45 AM To: oracle-l-freelists; oracle-db-l
Subject: multiple character sets on windows X64 server

All of our databases were created with character set WE8ISO8859P1. It now appears that we must create a new database specifying AL32UTF8 on the create database command.

Is there a problem of having multiple databases on the same Windows X64 server with different charactersets?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113