sqlplus format issue

From: Lei Zeng <lzeng_at_yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:30:32 -0800

Hi, I have a quick question about using sqlplus here. There is a requirement to select 1 column and spool out to a plain text file. The data type if varchar2(1500) but most of rows are only 100 characters long, only few are >1000 characters. I would like the spool file have one line for each row, doest that mean I have NO other choice but ' set linesize 1500 ' ? is there another way to tell sqlplus do not wrap into new line for one table row?

My concern is that 'set linesize 1500' makes the spool file too big because those white spaces.

Thanks,

Lei