Re: Querying MS Sql from Oracle

From: Rich Jesse <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:40:46 -0600 (CST)

Hi Ana,

> The 9i database has something called hsodbc but Oracle says that is not
> certified anymore.
> Has someone in the list done something like this?

I'm in a similar situation, although more about outrageous licensing costs than technical issues. After investigating a few options, I decided my needs could be met by pushing data from MSSQL to Oracle (instead of pulling it from Oracle) using a Linked Server in MSSQL. There is no extra licensing required from MSSQL and it appears to be more reliable from the accounts of others (Google it).

YMMV. I only require sporadic updates for my queries (application lock monitoring), so real-time data from MSSQL isn't generally needed. When it is, the delta data is pushed within 60 seconds, which is more than enough for our needs.

HTH! GL! Rich