Re: OS ulimit parameters for Oracle 10g

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:26:07 -0800 (PST)

> IBM zSeries platform
> Oracle EE 10g
> Suse 10
> While comparing ulimit parameters between a primary and a standby server,
> I noticed that the pending signals (-i) parameter was vastly
> different. Everything else is the same and I haven't been able to find
> primary - 81,920
> standby - 3,072

On my RHEL 4 and 5 boxes, I checked Oracle process pending signals with this command:

for i in `ps -ef | grep [L]OCAL | awk '{print $2}'`; do grep ^SigPnd /proc/$i/status; done

and then change [L]OCAL to [o]ra_ for background processes. I admit all the databases are fairly idle right now. But I checked multiple times on multiple servers. I've never seen one single pending signal for any Oracle process. I would say it's extremely unlikely you would reach the limit of pending signals of 3 thousand. You can check it when your database is busy.

Yong Huang