Re: Bit OT : diff bet'n business continuity and high availability

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:48:17 +0000

I'd handle this using the following rough definitions

Business Continuity is about ensuring that the business itself is able to survive unexpected or catastrophic events. It therefore covers the entire gamut of business operations (what do you do when you've lost half your executive board, how do you cope when your staff can't get into work, how do you deal with the loss of manufacturing capability at a major site and so on).

High Availability is largely about ensuring that business systems are as near as possible "always on" and is therefore mostly a technology question.

HA *can* be a business decision taken by the IT function, BC *never* can be

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA