Re: user$.AUDIT$

From: Yong Huang <>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:08:19 -0800 (PST)

> Do you know what user$.AUDIT$ is for? I know it's for audit but our
> audit_trail is set to NONE.
> (Also, what is _NEXT_USER?)

Was the database upgraded from 9i to 10g? The script c0902000.sql has

update user$ set audit$ = substr(audit$, 1, 32) || '------';

among other update SQLs to set the same column of other base tables to have 6 dashes (at the end).

According to Bug 6635956, DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL can fail if this column "contains NULL characters". I think this is related, although a NULL character is really chr(0), instead of NULL (see the SQL in catmeta.sql).

The _NEXT_USER is a special dummy user used when you create a new user, probably temporarily holding the next user#.

I've done a little research on a similar object, _NEXT_OBJECT. It plays a role in assigning a new ID when you create a new object of any type. If you see contention on _NEXT_OBJECT, you may be creating new objects too frequently. (Ref:

Yong Huang