Re: Discrepancy in OS config between EM and sys admins

From: John Piwowar <jpiwowar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:17:05 +0000

Sandra,

As Rich suggests, it's possible that the agent hasn't collected kernel parameter settings recently. I'm going by pre-coffee memory here, but there should be a list of collected metrics under the "Monitoring Configuration" or "Metric and Policy Settings" link at the bottom of the EM page for your host that will tell you how frequently a given piece of data is collected.  It may be that the collection is only done once per week, or month, or even disabled, in which case you should definitely disregard what EM is telling you favor of the checks you've already performed yourself with sysctl.

Apologies if you already know this, but if you want to be sure that the current kernel settings are going to persist through the next server boot, you check the permanent settings in 3 possible places: /etc/sysctl.conf (as already mentioned), /etc/sysconfig/oracle (if you're using the SUSE orarun.rpm), and /etc/init.d/boot.local. I have't seen that last one used in a while, thankfully, but you never know. :)

--

Regards,

John P.