RE: Discrepancy in OS config between EM and sys admins

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:54:12 -0500

Well, we'd need some examples of areas where there were disagreement, but if, for example, the shared memory settings were wrong, it may be that the SA has updated the /etc/sysctl.conf file but not run the sysctl command that causes it to be reread. In that situation, the sa will go:

grep shmmax /etc/sysctl.conf

and say "see, it's right"

while EM says "/sbin/sysctl shmmax" (whatever the actual command is, I don't remember off the top of my head)

and the system returns the current running value, not what it is set to be in the file.

Matt

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Becker Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:47 PM To: oracle-l
Subject: Discrepancy in OS config between EM and sys admins

Standby database server: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (s390x) 2.6.16.54 0.2.5 (64-bit)

Production database server: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (s390x) 2.6.16.54 0.2.5 (64-bit)

EM: 10.2.0.5

I'm in the first stages of setting up a standby database. I requested that my SAs set up the standby server to be identical to the production server. Several things weren't set up correctly like the oracle user had no write privileges anywhere, the wrong group designation, copied the wrong directory for the oracle home, etc. So many things were wrong that I decided to use EM to compare the two OS installations. EM says that several parameters are different between the two servers but my SAs say they are identical. I don't know where the SAs got their information only that EM is using /sbin/sysctl. Since that is a binary file, I can't really look at it. What might my SAs be looking at to see the parameter values? Some are substantially different and I'd like to get his resolved before moving forward. I'm trying to mitigate any unpleasant surprises due to differences between the servers.

--
Sandy
Transzap, Inc.