Re: row cache lock contention parallel insert

From: Greg Rahn <>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:35:30 -0800

The space segment advisor auto job can consume significant resources (basically burn 1 CPU core) if the data dictionary has no stats or very stale stats and there are a large number of partitions in the database. One of the dictionary queries ends up with an NLJ plan when it should have a HJ plan (because of large # of partitions/segments).

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Kellyn Pedersen <> wrote:
> I'm a tired DBA tonight, but this query sure looks familiar and if I remember correctly, I found it when a job was impacting the large warehouse tablespaces/datafile, but is this the job from the space advisor?
> select * from dba_scheduler_jobs
> where program_name like 'AUTO_SPACE%';
> I'd check and see, if it's enabled and scheduled, see what kind of elapsed time it has, then check your AWR and ADDM reports to see if this is impacting performance...
> Greg, tell me if I'm off here, I know I need a nap this evening... :)

Greg Rahn