Re: quick FK question

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:00:15 -0800 (PST)

So.... Stepping in the waters and hope I can swim on this one....

The web link is interesting reading. I'll confess that as I read it I was answering phones, talking to people and generally not giving it 100% attention. :) That being said, one thing that seemed to come to mind is that the debate on this page is about the relational mechanics/reasons/debate about NULL or "default" values. It is an RDBMS agnostic debate, and as such one important aspect isn't addressed, the performance of whatever the "perfect" solution is. In my mind, in the end, if I can assure data integrity (whatever the method) then performance becomes the next important consideration. The question of data integrity is a combination of the application and the data model (I could add things like testing, change control, etc too)...

As this is a data warehouse, I would assume (I know... I know) that the data comes from one or more OLTP systems, and I would assume (sigh...) that the data integrity of these systems would not be in question. With a warehouse, one might well be bringing in data from disparate sources. Simply based on that rule, some of the basic relational rules may not be able to be enforced all the time. In fact with a data warehouse we denormalize with a vengeance. For example, we may have facts without associated dimensions in a warehouse for a time (because of data integration issues) .... We might well have defined but not enforced FK's in a warehouse (later versions of Oracle), or we might not have any FK's if we are running older versions of Oracle that don't support non-enforcement of FK's. Thus, we ignore relational rules in warehouses all the time, in part for performance and in part based on an assumption that the source of record system is consistent.

In my mind in this case the real question is one of performance, not trying to protect relational integrity. That being the case, then the next question is "Is there a problem with performance". If the answer is no, then I would not worry about it. If the answer is Yes, then your modeler will need to try to justify his assertion that the design works better. If he can not justify, back to the drawing board....

Kimbal has addressed the issue of NULL's in a data warehouse... one link is here:

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com Check out my new blog series on installing Oracle Database 11gR2 on Windows using VMWare!

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_method-r.com> To: mwf_at_rsiz.com
Cc: rgravens_at_gmail.com; gints.plivna_at_gmail.com; JSweetser_at_icat.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Mon, December 21, 2009 8:03:38 AM
Subject: Re: quick FK question