Re: Force Logging and Standby's 10g Solaris 64

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 08:50:13 -0800 (PST)

Or you can use RMAN to create datafile image copy without putting the tablespace in backup mode. It can reduce redo that would otherwise be created.

I don't know if this is completely supported. We opened a TAR with Oracle. I vaguely remember the analyst said it was not supported. But we did it many times on fairly busy databases without issues. SQL trace on the RMAN image copy session couldn't reveal any secret. It has "RPC CALL:FUNCTION SYS.DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE..." etc.

(Credit to my former coworker FLou)

Yong Huang