Re: 11g Active Database Duplication

From: <>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:35:51 -0500

I thought the active database does NOT make a backup and push it across, it pushed the datafiles as they are. Hey any of you internals DBAs is that not correct?

I've not done it between 2 different ASM groups but from what I see of your command that should work.

Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional Senior Engineering & Administration Lead
(Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Interested in helping out your marriage? Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
Feb 12-Feb 14, 2010, Valentine's Day Weekend in Akron, OH

Manmohan Jalsingh <> To:
12/18/2009 01:18 PM
11g Active Database Duplication
Sent by:

Hi ,

Has anyone used this feature (in version successfully to clone a database between two servers which uses different ASM diskgroups. I am trying to create a clone using following rman script which is failing during restore. Oracle support told me that RMAN first creates a copy backup of the primary database on **source server** and then transfer it to target to build the clone copy.

Is that correct? Why it needs to create a copy on source ?

run {
db_file_name_convert='+DATA1/ORCL','+DATA2/DUPDB' }

Errors during the restore -

Starting backup at 17-DEC-09
allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: SID=376 instance=orcl3 device type=DISK channel ORA_DISK_1: starting datafile copy input datafile file number=00007
name=+DATA1/orcl/datafile/index.500.704464441 RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_DISK_1 channel at 12/17/2009 12:15:47
ORA-19504: failed to create file "+data2" channel ORA_DISK_1 disabled, job failed on it will be run on another channel