RE: New Survey

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:10:55 -0500

William,

        There are a number of problems that you can have with developers having backdoor access, other than read only, that are regulatory in nature, other wise known as "cooking the books". This inherently is a problem because many applications don't audit system access outside of the application. They can also create a pile of problems with applications by locking objects, rows, or other items that you normally would not see. I remember a developer who somehow had production access & was trying to replace a package in the production DB, thinking he was on dev. It locked up the application for a good 10 minutes and then caused a pile of errors, corrupted data, etc..., that lead up to a 6 hour down time. OOPS didn't even come close.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: Goulet, Richard [mailto:Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com] Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:49 PM To: Blanchard, William; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: New Survey

William,

        I have no problem with developers having READ ONLY access to production, staging, and QA. It gives them an ability to research problems with the app without always having to bother me. Beyond that no I do not approve of developers having access to anything other than DEV & I like to throw them all out on a monthly basis so that I can "rake out the sandbox".