Re: backup UNDO Tablespace (dba_undo_extents)

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:07:51 -0800 (PST)

Backup 'compression' (only backup populated or once-populated blocks) applies to datafiles, and last I checked the UNDO tablespace is created with a specific command (CREATE UNDO TABLESPACE ...) which, in my mind, tells Oracle this is not an ordinary tablespace.  As such I would expect RMAN  to backup the entire UNDO tablespace regardless of how full or empty it may be; this is evidenced by the original post to this thread.  It's only logical (in my mind, anyway) to backup the entire UNDO tablespace as recovery may require the entire UNDO tablespace even though transactional activity in the database may not.

David Fitzjarrell