Re: Oracle-Managed Files - your views

From: S. Anthony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:56:31 +0000

Thanks all,

I had a play with DBCA, but couldn't find a *straightforward* way of changing the controlfile location from the default using the GUI, so I just went for standard file system for now.

I want the controlfiles, redologs and datafiles in the same directory.

And, yes, I'm aware of OFA, and the importance of distributing controlfiles (at the very least).

Regards.

D'Hooge Freek wrote:
> Well, I'm using it for several databases at customer sites and I must say I like it.
> It makes the administration easier and gives less chance for errors. I especially like it for dataguard environments (no more *name_convert parameters).
>
> The database files are all placed on a san, so there is also no real reason to spread out the datafiles over various filesystems.
>
> As the current environment is using ASM, you are in fact already using OMF. So, the only difference in administration would be that you can now see your datafiles on the filesystem.
>

> regards,
>
> Freek D'Hooge
> Uptime
> Oracle Database Administrator
> email: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
> tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
> http://www.uptime.be

S. Anthony Sequeira
++
The way to fight a woman is with your hat.  Grab it and run.
++