Oracle-Managed Files - your views

From: Tony Sequeira <>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:20:15 +0000

Hi group,

I have to move a 10g ( application off a Solaris 10 machine (using ASM) to a Windows 2003 server (don't ask).

The required application is only one smallish schema, so I'm going to pre-create a database ( and use export/import.

I'm thinking of using OMF. Does anyone here have any views on OMF. My research has come up with the following:

Primary advantage seems to be management (no need to specify file names/locations...)

The list of disadvantages I have found are all dismissable for this particular application.

File System only - I'm OK with that
Naming Standards - No issue for this database

Tuning                     - Again no issue for this database.

S. Anthony Sequeira

It is bad luck to be superstitious. -- Andrew W. Mathis