Re: Which query is best?

From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:09:52 +0300

Hi Rampui,

The UPDATE is intended for a single row only. I appreciate if you can further explain me about the other ... more optimistic ways you thought about whilst doing a single row UPDATE.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Rumpi Gravenstein <>wrote:

> <snip>They have explained me that, they have a
> SELECT .. FOR UPDATE and some other series of actions and then followed by
> </snip>
> Question -- is the update intended to update a single row or a set of
> rows? If the answer is a single row, then there are other ... more
> optimistic ... ways to get the lock that don't involve using the FOR
> UPDATE clause.
> --
> Rumpi Gravenstein

Best Regards,

Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle Certified Master (10g)
Oracle ACE
OCP 8i,9i & 10g DBA
RAC Certified Expert
Official Oracle RAC SIG Representative for Saudi Arabian region  (
I blog at
LinkedIn :
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."