RE: Oracle Names question

From: Roberts, David (GSD - UK) <"Roberts,>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:08:54 +0000

I haven't used Oracle Names for years, but everything I did know I blogged:

http://bigdaveroberts.wordpress.com/category/oracle-names/

If I recall correctly, where the names server gets it's data from is a bit vague. It can be from the database, from an on disk cache, from an in memory cache or from another names server process.

My expectation is, that if you shutdown the database, that that repository will no longer be accessed by the names server process, and any amendments that are made in the database will not be reflected in the Names server caches until the process is re-started.

Thus Shutting down the database in the way you are probably makes Oracle Names slightly less resilient, but isn't disastrous.

Again, as I no longer have access to a names server, I have no way of proving my understanding of the behavior of the names server process to myself or anyone else!

David Roberts
Senior Developer

Logica - Releasing your potential
www.logica.com

Logica UK Limited
Registered in England and Wales (registered number 947968) Registered office: 250 Brook Drive, Green Park, Reading RG2 6UA, United Kingdom