Re: Cross-Platform migration (10g)

From: Wolfgang Breitling <>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:29:26 -0700

OracleŽ Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2)
Part Number B14191-03

This chapter discusses the use of RMAN in transporting tablespaces and entire databases between disparate platforms.This chapter contains the following sections:

<>Cross-Platform Tranportable Tablespace: CONVERT DATAFILE or TABLESPACE A description of how to use RMAN's CONVERT DATAFILE and CONVERT TABLESPACE commands when moving transportable tablespaces across platforms with different endian formats [ emphasis mine ]

At 03:04 PM 12/11/2009, Roger Xu wrote:
>Thank you (Michael and Richard). Here is what
>the RMAN Advanced User's Guide says - "It also
>supports a transportable database feature, which
>can be used to recreate an entire database from
>one platform on another platform as long as the
>platforms have the same endian order."
>I think my only other ption is what Michael
>mentioned: precreate a shell database then
>transport user tablespaces one by one from source to target.

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation