Re: Cross-Platform migration (10g)

From: Michael Fontana <michael.fontana_at_enkitec.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:02:36 -0600 (CST)

Cross-platform migration is a relatively new feature of RMAN (10.2) and now supports disparate platforms. There is a specific syntax in your RMAN backup to accomodate the bitset and endian changes required. You'd also need to precreate a shell 64-bit database on the target in advance.

You are right that the view v$transportable_tablespace will list the supported platforms, and if Roger's Windows 32-bit system and his target are on the list on his source, then it SHOULD be supported.

Here is the query, from the aforementioned manual, that can be run to validate this:

SELECT PLATFORM_ID, PLATFORM_NAME, ENDIAN_FORMAT FROM V$TRANSPORTABLE_PLATFORM; I've actually done this, in several directions, while evaluating replacement hardware and executing a migration.

  • Original Message ----- From: "Richard Goulet" <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com> To: "Michael Fontana" <michael.fontana_at_enkitec.com> Cc: wellmetus_at_gmail.com, oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 10:16:13 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central Subject: RE: Cross-Platform migration (10g)

Michael,

        Not sure, but form past experience moving from 32 to 64 bit all you needed to do was run catproc thereafter to recompile everything properly. But, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe rman can only migrate database files across systems with the same endianesses. Namely big to big and small to small. I believe there's a package/procedure in the database that tells you if the move is supported.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Roger Xu Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 10:51 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Cross-Platform migration (10g)

Hi List,

I need to move a database from Windows to HP-UX. What are my options besides exp/imp (datapump)?

Source:
Little Endian - Microsoft Windows IA (32-bit) Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0

Target:
Big Endian - HP-UX IA (64-bit)
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0

I think I could tranport user tablespace but not the entire database.

Thanks,

Roger Xu

--

Michael Fontana