Re: Cross-Platform migration (10g)

From: Michael Fontana <>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:10:32 -0600 (CST)

You'd want to look at the RMAN documentation, particularly the section that deals with cross-platform migration:

There are advantages and pitfalls with using RMAN techniques. The greatest advantage is the Endian issue is addressed, you have a viable recovery point, and you can move the database at the datafile level (with some prepartion).

One of the main disadvantages is the source database must be down during the process.

  • Original Message ----- From: "Roger Xu" <> To: Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 9:50:38 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central Subject: Cross-Platform migration (10g)

Hi List,

I need to move a database from Windows to HP-UX. What are my options besides exp/imp (datapump)?

Little Endian - Microsoft Windows IA (32-bit) Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release

Big Endian - HP-UX IA (64-bit)
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release

I think I could tranport user tablespace but not the entire database.

Roger Xu

Michael Fontana

Sr. Technical Consultant

Enkitec M: 214.912.3709