Re: RMAN full resync of recovery catalog hangs

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 13:50:32 -0800 (PST)

A number of catalog related bugs.... in 10g and 11g. A whole bunch.

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com Check out my new blog series on installing Oracle Database 11gR2 on Windows using VMWare!

From: Robert Pegram <pegramrg_at_yahoo.com> To: steve.harville_at_gmail.com; Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com> Cc: martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com; oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wed, December 9, 2009 1:36:23 PM
Subject: Re: RMAN full resync of recovery catalog hangs

Steve,

Did you recently run "upgrade catalog"? If so, the first time we upgraded our catalog to support 11G databases, we had a couple of target databases experiencing similar behavior. Below is my notes from where I resolved the problem. Apparently I didn't take good notes, but I seem to remember seeing "control file sequential read" events showing up in the targets database's v$session_wait view.

Symptom: RMAN full resync of recovery catalog takes extra long time.

FIX: On Target Database:
SQL> exec dbms_stats.gather_fixed_objects_stats() ; SQL> alter system flush shared_pool;
RMAN> sql "alter session set optimizer_mode=RULE"; RMAN> resync catalog

HTH
Rob Pegram
Duke University

From: Steve Harville <steve.harville_at_gmail.com> To: Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com> Cc: martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com; oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wed, December 9, 2009 1:21:02 PM

More Info:
I'm backing up to tape
The target and the repository databases are both 11.1.0.7.0 I have crosschecked and deleted several times, only a few days of backups are in the control file.

Steve Harville

http://www.linkedin.com/in/steveharville

I had done crosscheck and delete several times but I did it again today. I had the same result of resync catalog hanging.