Re: dimension table

From: Greg Rahn <>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:29:06 -0800

This question reminds me of the "Not knowing how to ask for help" section of Tom Kyte's UKOUG 2009 presentation. One of his responses shown was this one:

Followup October 7, 2009 - 7am Central time zone:

my car won't start.

I won't tell you anything else - now please tell me why it's happening and the solution for it.

I won't tell you what errors I'm seeing on the dashboard.
I won't tell you what noise it is or is not making.
I won't tell you what version of car I'm using.
I won't tell you what roads I'm driving it on (think OS)

Help us help you: provide enough detail so people can understand the issue.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Kar <> wrote:
> All,
> I am observing  the date dimension table is giving high cpu cost and on
> explain table it seems to be a troubling spot .
> I am looking for any suggestion on what would be a better approach for
> designing this  table .
> Appreciate any suggestions.
> thanks
> Prasad