Re: dimension table

From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:18:09 -0800 (PST)

Jared is right, we need a few details here, (and more would be better...)
-What's the current description of the table, vs. the source tables its based on?
-What do the main troubling queries look like, including explain plans?  It may have more to do with the SQL than the table design.
-A dimension table is a commonly the main columns duplicated then used to build your fact tables from.  They should be fast and hit hard, so we need to see how they are joined in the explain plans, it could even be a matter of CBO issues.

Thanks,

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

From: Kar <kp0773_at_gmail.com>
Subject: dimension table
To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Date: Tuesday, December 8, 2009, 12:17 PM

All,

I am observing  the date dimension table is giving high cpu cost and on explain table it seems to be a troubling spot .

I am looking for any suggestion on what would be a better approach for designing this  table .

Appreciate any suggestions.

thanks
Prasad
--