RE: [OFF TOPIC] College Degree

From: Zelli, Brian <Brian.Zelli_at_RoswellPark.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:07:40 -0500

For what it's worth, my degree is in education. I then got a 2 year degree in Data Processing. After a few years in IT at a university, I got a Masters in Computer Education while I was working there. Since then, I have had the luxury of a dual career. IT by day, IT adjunct faculty by night, mixed with some flex scheduling for daytime instruction. I was able to put all my degrees to use and enjoy what I have been doing. 25 years in IT, 15 years as faculty. Some nice extra cash(although not much) and doing what I love.

ciao,
Brian

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Goulet, Richard Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 11:57 AM To: cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com; oracle-l-freelists Subject: RE: [OFF TOPIC] College Degree

Alan,

    Is a college degree worth a pile of manure? Well I'd say that it has to do with the career your interested in if it really has a need for a degree. My daughter has her PHD in some sort of bio-chem stuff & it serves her very well. Her dad on the other side of the fence got yanked out of the middle of an Electronics degree by the draft in 72. Having number 33 that year was not conducive to further activities of your own since the local draft folks were about as warm and Lake Winnipesauke up here in NH in the middle of winter. So off to the Air Force I went (only way of avoiding the draft folks) and 20+ years later out I came with 5 years of experience around Oracle. Since then that electronics degree, which I did finish, has been nothing more than a nice piece of wallpaper. Nice to have, but of little other value.

    So how would a different degree help, probably not much better than the one I currently have. Therefore I'm not pursuing one.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Guillermo Alan Bort Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 4:40 PM
To: oracle-l-freelists
Subject: [OFF TOPIC] College Degree

Well, I've been doing a little soul searching, I've been studying computer engineering for a few years now. I don't like programming, I don't like project management... and that's about all they teach over here in comp eng....

So... my question to you is, what is your degree (if any) and what is your opinion on college degrees and real life work.

I've been working with Oracle for a few years (4 or 5) and I've come to know it a little, I got a good job as a DBA, but I don't really like the 'regular' careers that are usually associated with Systems Administrations... so... if I got, say, a degree in mathematics or physics... how would it affect my work-life?

thanks for your input.
cheers.
Alan.-

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.