Re: [OFF TOPIC] College Degree

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:13:46 +0000

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I've been working with Oracle for a few years (4 or 5) and I've come to
>> know it a little, I got a good job as a DBA, but I don't really like the
>> 'regular' careers that are usually associated with Systems
>> Administrations... so... if I got, say, a degree in mathematics or
>> physics... how would it affect my work-life?
>>

> I don't think it would affect your working life in any way, other than
> perhaps open a few doors initially. Your approach to systematic work and
> continuous learning would be a much more determinant factor of your career
> overall.
>
> for me I think it largely depends on age/experience. If I'm recruiting
someone without relevant experience but with a good degree from a good university then that gives me some confidence that they can think, assess evidence, write and argue. So at the little experience level then a good degree is a good thing to have. If you are beyond that then I'm much more interested in your experience, problem solving and communication skills as evidenced by both your CV and your interview.

That's all from an Oracle point of view. If you are fed up with IT and really interested in Math/physics then to have the gumption to go and do that for 3 years before looking for another job in a related field would likely really impress me. Not sticking with the safe, but doing what's important and costly is a hugely impressive act to people that think like me, how many of them exist in HR I wouldn't like to say.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto

Niall Litchfield