select_catalog_role granted to newly created user named 'T' with create session privilege does not select data from dba_users

From: sundar mahadevan <sundarmahadevan82_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:56:09 -0500

Hello List,

I'm on 11.2.0.1 on OEL5.3

O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY is set to FALSE. I created a new user named 'T' and granted 'create session' privileges to 'T'. I also have another user named 'SCOTT' and a table named 'EMP' under this schema. With 'select any table' privilege granted to 'T' as user 'system', I am able to select data from scott.emp as user 'T' but I am unable to view DBA_USERS (which is obvious since O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY is set to FALSE). Then I revoke 'select any table' from 'T' and grant 'select_catalog_role' as user 'system' to 'T'. I expect to view data from dba_users but this does not happen. I get table or view does not exist. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks in advance.

SQL> SELECT * FROM role_role_privs WHERE role='SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE';

ROLE                           GRANTED_ROLE                   ADM
SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE            HS_ADMIN_SELECT_ROLE           NO

SQL> SELECT * FROM role_role_privs WHERE role='HS_ADMIN_SELECT_ROLE';

no rows selected

SQL> SELECT * FROM role_sys_privs WHERE role='HS_ADMIN_SELECT_ROLE';

no rows selected