RE: Question about RMAN Datafile + Archivelog Backups

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:54:37 -0500

Well, I hate to correct Jared, but if you use rman to backup your database it does an archive log switch for you and backups up that file as a part of the backup.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still
<snip>

If the archive logs are not included with the backup,

there's a pretty good chance you will run into a

scenario where a restore is needed, but not all

the required archive logs are available.

Suppose the storage crashes 12 hours after the backup?

Not only would the 12 hours of work be lost because the

archive logs were not backed up, but the backup itself

would likely be useless, as the archive logs created during

the backup would not be available.

This seems a good opportunity for you to educate

folks regarding the basics of Oracle recovery so they

understand why archive logs MUST be backed up.

Quite a few DBA's not only duplex archive logs, but also

back them up twice before deleting them.

Jared Still
Certifiable <snip>

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com> wrote:

What are the risks of NOT including archivelogs as part of the RMAN routine backups? I have been tasked with reducing our backup sizes and was asked if we had to include archivelogs in our backups. I realized that I didn't have a real good answer to this. My gut says to backup everything, but I cannot think of an exceptional reason to include archivelogs in my backup sets. When you have to restore you only need the archivelogs since the last backup, right? Or am I forgetting something important here? Chris Taylor<snip>