Re: Question about RMAN Datafile + Archivelog Backups

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:20:51 -0800

If the archive logs are not included with the backup, there's a pretty good chance you will run into a scenario where a restore is needed, but not all the required archive logs are available.

Suppose the storage crashes 12 hours after the backup?

Not only would the 12 hours of work be lost because the archive logs were not backed up, but the backup itself would likely be useless, as the archive logs created during the backup would not be available.

This seems a good opportunity for you to educate folks regarding the basics of Oracle recovery so they understand why archive logs MUST be backed up.

Quite a few DBA's not only duplex archive logs, but also back them up twice before deleting them.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com