FW: active-active for private IP?

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:44:15 -0600

Reposting for Freek...

David C. Herring | DBA, Acxiom Database Services

630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 cell | 630-944-4989 fax 1501 Opus Pl | Downers Grove, IL, 60515 | U.S.A. | www.acxiom.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Herring Dave - dherri [Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com] Sent: 01 December 2009 14:45
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: active-active for private IP?

Thanks for the replies this! So far I've received responses that state:

  1. Active-active is the best method, although make sure you have stacked switches.
  2. Active-backup is a better solution for failover/redundancy (nothing new).
  3. Redhat 4 has bond bugs, one of which is doesn't properly detect the loss of a member of a bond. You'll need to upgrade to Redhat 5.
  4. Redhat 5 has bond bugs, one of which is the ethx order changes on reboot.

Redhat 4 and 5 have bugs, so either way I'll just have to make sure we address the bugs matching the OS. No one has official recommendations from Oracle, so the choice is back to which is more important - potential performance gains vs. redundancy.

BTW, I was given a couple Metalink references but surprise, surprise, I can't get in currently. :-)

David C. Herring | DBA, Acxiom Database Services

630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 cell | 630-944-4989 fax 1501 Opus Pl | Downers Grove, IL, 60515 | U.S.A. | www.acxiom.com

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Dec 01 2009 - 11:44:15 CST

Original text of this message