Re: clustered tables question 10g

From: Nigel Thomas <nigel.cl.thomas_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:07:16 +0000

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Michael McMullen

> <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I’m investigating whether it is appropriate to organize some of the
> tables into clusters,
>

> Michael

Just a thought: if you're dealing with XML have you also considered the possible (though by no means certain) benefits of using XML DB to store the data? There are some similarities between using traditional clustered tables and storing (possibly shredded) XML into CLOBs or relational or object/relational tables.

A good source of information is Oracle Ace Marco Gralike's blog. For example see his 2007 paper on XML storage
options<http://www.liberidu.com/blog/images/oracle-11g-xmltype-storage-options.pdf>; his page linking to OTN discussions<http://www.liberidu.com/blog/?page_id=241>; his XMLDB <http://www.liberidu.com/blog/?cat=3> category, etc.

(Disclaimer: My interest in this is theoretical,not practical; I've used Oracle XML functionality primarily for generating XML from relational, not the other way round).

Regards Nigel