Re: Oracle on windows server 2008

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:57:15 -0500

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:42 AM, BERTHOLD Jean <Jean.BERTHOLD_at_cisel.ch> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> Since Metalink is out, (I don’t have any access on it since last week... I
> come on this forum to get help !
>

> My problem :
>
> I have to install a new Oracle server with 8GB of memory pre-installed.
>
> ·         If I install Windows server 2008 on this server, only 4 GB of
> memory will be recognized, am I true ?

indeterminate.
MS W2K8 Server R1 is available in both 32 and 64 bit editions. If you were to install MS W2K8 Server R1 32 bit Enterprise Edition, 8 GB would be recognized.

btw, 8 GB of physical memory today is the equivalent of 2 GB with W2K. Expect the OS cache to have all of that allocated by default. How much memory do you expect to allocate to user apps, such as oracle.exe?

> ·         If I install Windows server 2008 R2 (which is 64 bits)  on this
> server, all my memory (8GB) will be recognized, am I true ?

I was not able to install Oracle 10g R2 on MS W2K8 R2 x64 Standard Edition. Prior to the Metalink changeover, its support status in Certify was listed as "projected".

Install on MS Windows Server 2008 R1 x64 Standard Edition. It will recognize up to 32 GB of physical memory.

How many cores/threads does that server have? If you have less than say 2 GB per core I'd start by requesting more physical memory.

> Questions :
>
> 1.       Can I install Oracle Database 11g Release 1 (for Microsoft Windows
> 32 bits)  on Windows server 2008 R2 (64 bits) ?

I didn't look that one up under "Certify" before the MOS cutover and I can certify that I can't get to that part of MOS now.