Re: Listener files/sockets in /tmp/.oracle

From: Kurt Franke <>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:56:58 +0100

as I remember in the early 90 years of the last century there was a very short limit to the length of the total pathname one can use to bind to a socket of type AF_UNIX of around 20 characters. I'm argueing this was one reason to use /tmp as location to make the directory part very short and allow a meaningful name for the socketfile itself.

As another Tools (i. e. X Server) had the same limitation the /tmp location would become something normative for unix domain sockets.