Re: Metalink Fiasco

From: Alex Fatkulin <>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:35:10 -0500

I think we need to be careful in extrapolating consumer issues into enterprise issues. I get the problem you had were with WPA (Windows Product Activation) and OEM Win XP (which is bound to "computer" as opposed to "proper" retail version).

No one is going to lock your SQL or Exchange (or what other enterprise software you might be running) servers, I think this is what Niall has been talking about.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Rodd Holman <> wrote:
> Actually Microsoft did that to me.  I upgraded my hard drive and my Win XP
> system wouldn't register with MS anymore.  It told me I had 30 days to buy a
> license to or my ability to login would be disabled.  I had to call MS tech
> support and fight with them that I had the same motherboard, processor,
> memory, etc. to get them to re-enable my product key that was on the sticker
> on the side of my box.  Ever since them I've been VERY wary of the call home
> systems that software vendors create to "HELP" us get better service.

Alex Fatkulin,