RE: Negative ramifications of setting CPU_COUNT lower?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 17:01:51 -0500

I'll take the opportunity to fix two typos "too small and SGA" should be "too small an SGA" and "disabus" should be "disabuse." I don't know where these gremlins come from that depress keys on my keyboard that differ from what my mind is directing and omit characters I'm sure I have typed.

And although I think Dan got my sentiment about right, I just wanted to note for the record I did not type or utter the phrase "best practice." In general I think people mean "the way I do it and you're stupid if you try anything else" when they type "best practice" though I suspect Dan is an exception to that general rule and means it in a kind fashion and only uses it at all because even a fine fellow like Dan cannot completely resist being taken over by market speak under his current employment arrangement. So if you strike out "best practice" and replace it with "a pretty good starting point that might turn out to be good enough" then you've captured my sentiment exactly. And I think that is also Oracle's goal: Get the settings right out of the box most of the time just by looking at the system you're running on. It ain't perfect yet, and they shouldn't even be trying to make it perfect - but it is doggone good.

Of course that's no reason to treat warnings as errors. But I think I've already beaten that dead horse several times. PETA please note the horse was already dead when I started beating it.

Regards,

mwf