Re: what could cause a high elap value for the exec system call (for a select statement)?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:40:37 -0700

D'Hooge,

GROUP BY, ORDER BY, or FOR UPDATE OF clauses could easily cause huge times for the EXEC phase in a SELECT. Each of these clauses forces a significant amount of processing before the first row is fetched. The first two (GROUP/ORDER BY) might require large portions of the result set to be stored in temporary segments, and FOR UPDATE OF could wait on a number of things, including indefinite waits on conflicting locks...

Not a complete list, but you get the idea... ;-)

Hope this helps...

-Tim